Being the capital of Sweden, Stockholm boasts a plethora of sightseeing locations that are hard to find anywhere else in the world. If you are traveling to Stockholm to enjoy vacation then you will definitely get what you are expecting out of this city. Here you will come across several lush landscapes, heritage museums and historical landmarks which are worth exploring. The city also feels proud about several UNESCO heritage sites which you must visit at least once in a lifetime. Here we have listed some of the top things to do and best places to visit in Stockholm that will add an element of spice to your Sweden tour. Check out this Stockholm travel guide:
- Abba Museum: Not many would know about this, but ABBA is from Sweden, one of the biggest music band lovers. Well, the key reason behind this is because ABBA itself is Swedish. In May 2013, ABBA created its museum. Since then, each year millions have flocked to witness this interactive display against the current environment of Djurgarden. Learn more about the band, and you can also see various exhibitions such as Benny’s Piano the Waterloo, the Polar Studio as well as the Ring Ring, just to name a couple. All these reasons make this museum, one of the best tourist attractions of Stockholm Sweden.
- Skansen Open-Air Museum: Skansen has also been a clubbed to hold his first open-air museum in Sweden and it is one of the most popular places to visit in Stockholm. Artur Hazelius, the museum’s founder, was founded back in 1981 and was designed to display Swedish culture even before the industrial age. This Park contains many displays on a 75-acre site. One of the features of this museum is the 19th-century city, in which numerous craftsmen dominating Swedish culture can be shown.
- The Royal Palace: The center of Stockholm is the Royal Palace, commonly known as the Stockholm Palace. It is the Swedish royal’s official home. King Carl XVI Gustaf and King Silvia lived there formerly. It also includes the office of the King and also Swedish Royal Family members. Throughout your vacation, there are many activities you may enjoy, along with a trip to the Royal Court of Sweden, the Gustav III Antique Museum or Tre Kronor Museum, and the Royal Guard.
- Stockholm City Hall: The Stockholm City Hall architecture is a real piece of artwork for the Swedish municipal council. There are several offices, meeting spaces and spectacular halls. Stadshuskällaren is one of the features of the hotel. The Nobel Prize dinner site has become increasingly prominent after the Stockholm City Hall was announced. Thousands of visitors come every year to see the place and to be in awe of the work, recognized as a result of nationalistic romanticism in Sweden’s architecture. No wonder, this masterpiece is recognized as one of the top tourist attractions of Stockholm that you must visit all around the year.
- Moderna Museet: Stockholm is rich in tradition and maintains a distinctive and lively arts environment that is extremely prominent in the works seen in the Moderna Museet. This museum was built in 1958 and displays art by world-renowned painters such as Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dali, both worldwide and modern. This is also where the Tatlin Tower is maintained. It’s a state museum with another branch, Moderna MuseetMalmō, located in south Sweden.
- Royal National City Park: The official site states that the Royal National City Park is the first national urban park in the world with a length of more than six miles and a green lung. It spreads around Stockholm, which is unbelievable. You will find deer, leopards, rabbits, and glances across the nearby woodlands to discover a rare species of birds, butterflies, and insects with an outstanding wealth of variety. The Park has a museum, a fun park, and several entertainment venues including a cinema, a castle, and cafés. So, owing to the Royal National City Park, there are plenty of sites to view in Stockholm. If you are searching for some of the fun things to do in Stockholm Sweden then come to this park.
- Östermalm: A beautiful neighborhood located in the Stockholm high-end sector, Östermalm is also well-known for some of Stockholm’s greatest nightclubs. You can maybe see the Dramaten – a restaurant/pub that’s also a smooth hub for the entertainment scene in Sweden if you are a party person. If patterns are something that moves you, look at some of the most elegant designs you’ve ever come across at Stockholm Design House in Ostermalm. During your stay, walking through the Östermalm market hall is essential to gain a taste of Sweden’s local culture.
- Grona Lund: Grona Lund is one of the most fun parks and best places to see in Stockholm that possesses around 30 attractions. This is also the main venue for most concerts. Over the years, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Mr. Alban and Tove Lo, The Cardigans, Abbas, were among the noteworthy concerts held in Grona Lund. The amusement park conducts several performing arts events all year round and we are pretty sure that your vacation to Stockholm will be something spectacular.
- Nobel Museum: Not many people may know about such places, but Sweden’s main stock market building, Stockholm, used to be the Nobel Prize Museum. This displays an ancient architectural structure that talks extensively about the country’s historical achievements. The Nobel Museum emphasizes everything relating to the Nobel Prize, as the name indicates. The Nobel Prize itself and the winners of this prestigious honor have been held for centuries and are very interesting.
- Royal Swedish Opera: The Royal Swedish Opera, as elsewhere in Stockholm, is Sweden’s main theatre, which mostly holds ballets, opera as well as other artistic events. None apart from King Gustav III truly found this attraction. Carl Stenberg and Elisabeth Olin, excellent performers in Swedish history, performed for the first time in this theatre in 1773. The interior designs, the construction of the building – all this genuinely takes you in time and makes it a worthwhile site to see in Stockholm.
- Junibacken: Review the universe of Astrid Lindgren, Swedish internationally known children’s author, for your youth at Junibacken. Naturally, Pippi Longstocking is a vital component of the museum, but you will find Emil, Karlsson on the Roof and the Lionhearted Brothers, and many others too. The display’s Story train was developed by the Royal Dramatic Theater, the bookstore is very well supplied, and not only traditional Swedish food is available in the café but killer views are provided.
- The Stockholm archipelago: More than 30,000 islands, ranging from Sandhamn’s vivacious development to Möja’s lonely wilderness, are situated in Stockholm Archipelago. Whether you want a day excursion to an island or a weekend island-hop, you will come away from every aspect of the city changed into beauty. No wonder, it is listed amongst one of the top 10 places to visit in Stockholm Sweden.
- TekniskaMuseet: Sweden’s largest museum of technology is the National Museum of Science and Technology, which enables adults and children to view, touch and comprehend technology with interactive exhibitions. This museum is huge, interesting, and informative, all for everything from space and energy to the environment as well as the digital era under the microscope.
- Fotografiska: If you are an art lover then you will love adding this real masterpiece of art should be in the list of top places to visit in Stockholm. You will come across several exhibitions and artistic pictures that will show you another side of photography. The museum is recognized for featuring several unique cameras, burned rolls and contact sheets that are dating back to old centuries. On weekdays, the museum remains open from 9 AM to 11 PM, while on weekends you can consider visiting it any time during the day.
- Gamla Stan: It is also recognized as an Old Town where you can find several sightseeing destinations along with famous shops, restaurants, cafes and much more. If you are traveling to Stockholm for the first time in life then you will definitely like to start your journey from Gamla Stan. In the vicinity, you will also spot the Royal Palace, Nobel Museum, Stockholm Cathedral, and Christmas Market. While been here, you will love to pass through streets like Mårten Trotzigs Grändw which is recognized as one of the most offbeat places to visit in Stockholm.
- Djurgarden: It is one of the most sought-after tourist attractions in Stockholm where you can enjoy the best time with your loved ones. The place is blessed with several exciting offerings along with a green landscape in an extremely serene ambiance. If you are traveling to Stockholm to enjoy its natural wonders then it is recommended to visit this tourist attraction of Stockholm during the summer season. The weather is extremely pleasant here and you can also enjoy ferry rides to reach out to your favorite destination.
- Vasa Museum: Without any doubt, you will find this museum added in every Stockholm travel guide. It is recognized as the most visited museum in Sweden where more than a million travelers come to view its unique offerings. Here you will find relics of old Vasa warship which is renovated and preserved in perfect condition. You can plan to visit this tourist attraction in Stockholm from 8:30 AM to 6 PM. Your Stockholm tour will be complete only when you visit such a majestic museum in the world. No wonder, it has got recognition as one of the best tourist attractions in the world.
- SkyView: If there is any tourist spot in Stockholm that will help you to capture 360-degree views of the city then it is SkyView. It is recognized as the largest spherical structure in the world which attracts tourists from different parts of the country. It is located at the height of 425 feet and you can reach this unique masterpiece through cable rides. Considering such a high inflow of tourists, a ride in every 10 minutes is organized. In the locality, you can also spot several shops, cafes and restaurants to keep you busy throughout a day. You can visit SkyView anytime from 9 AM to 7 PM and capture some epic moments of the city in your camera.
What’s next waiting for you?
The above list of best things to do and top places to visit in Stockholm Sweden will definitely make your itinerary exciting. No matter at what time of the year, you are traveling to Stockholm, the city has something or other to fulfill your traveling cravings. This amazing city will be there in every Stockholm holiday package to add an element of excitement to your tour. Once you know what to do in Stockhold, you will wish to visit it again and again. If you are planning to visit few more tourist attractions in Europe then check out our other travel guides to get all the information.