Melbourne is one of the fascinating cities in Australia that brags about the plethora of sightseeing locations. Whether it is vibrant nightclubs, modern theaters, buzzing shopping stores or unique restaurants offering delicious food, you will find everything here. Apart from modern attractions, you will find several classical destinations in Melbourne that mainly include historical museums, old towns, railway stations and wildlife sanctuaries. If you are searching for the best places to visit in Melbourne then check out this ideal list. Here is a Melbourne travel guide that also covers top things to do in Melbourne:
- Queen Victoria Market: Queen Victoria Market in Melbourne, Australia is a 141-year-old, huge open-air market. The market has been an important feature of Melbourne’s central business area since the late 1860s. The famous market is situated across two blocks with Victoria Street bounded by one block and Queen Street bounded by the other block – and that is the name of the Queen Victoria market. There are a variety of lifestyles, cuisine, and culture on the market that include jewelry, specialized products, arts & crafts, fresh fruit, clothes, souvenirs, and gourmet meals. It is one of the best places to visit in Melbourne, Australia.
- National Gallery of Victoria: The National Gallery of Victoria or NGV is one of the top places to visit in Melbourne, Australia, and has more than 70,000 amazing art items, both from Australia and from great artists throughout the globe. The earliest art museum in the country was founded in 1861. The current collection allows you to see diverse concepts, genres, and disciplines represented through stunning pieces of art across the centuries and countries. The extensive collection of the NGV International in Southbank and the Ian-potter Centre: the NGV Australia in Federation Square, is organized into two buildings.
- Shrine of Remembrance: The Sanctuary of Remembrance is Victoria’s National War Memorial and a Melbourne landmark. This homage to all the good Australians who served for the country in battle is now devoted to the courageous efforts of the Victoria Servicemen in World War I and ranked among the largest war monuments in Australia. The Remembrance Shrine, officially opened in 1934, draws from world-famous structures such as the tomb of Mausolus and the Ancient Greek Parthenon with its magnificent architectural style. The World Was the Second forecourt was created in commemoration of the victims of war. It was created in a classic design.
- Melbourne Cricket Ground: The Melbourne Cricket Ground, or the MCG, was built in the mid-19th century. It is the main and largest homeland of the Australian Cricket Team. The MCG is an internationally famous and world-class venue and home to one of the world’s finest cricket teams. In 1877 there occurred the first test match in sports history. It has had several refurbishments and upgrades, always up to international cricket standards. Book an MCG tour to explore the history of the sport, as well as the history of one of the world’s finest cricketing countries. The Melbourne Cricket Ground is one of the popular tourist spots in Melbourne.
- Eureka Tower: The Eureka Tower is about 300 meters above sea level. From its perspective, the Skydeck 88 is highly popular among the population. The Eureka Tower is simply a flat with lots of views and the best tourist attractions in Melbourne. The finest view of Melbourne is on the 88th level of this tower. The Eureka Skydeck 88 is the highest point of observation in the southern hemisphere of the structure. Think of that. It contains elements such as a terrace and the edge, actually standing 300 meters above the earth on a single piece of glass. The Eureka Tower provides you with a view of the town from no other point of view.
- Royal Botanic Gardens: The Melbourne botanical garden is one of the top tourist attractions of Melbourne on the field. They comprise a collection of plants and greenery on various lawns in the garden. Rich, tranquil, and gorgeous Royal Gardens are decorated with several monuments and pillars throughout. It is home to one of the top botanical research centers. Every year, the Gardens appeal to thousands of tourists for their extensive ecological environment, with over 1000 kinds of native and native flora as well as its animals. It’s also a popular place for picnics.
- Yarra Valley: The Yarra Valley is a globally renowned tourist destination in Australia covering more than 50 wine and microbreweries in the highlands of Victoria’s Yarra River and the best places to see in Melbourne. You may enjoy the picturesque array while enjoying high-quality chardonnay, pinot noir, and sparkling wine with meals cooked from fresh vegetables. Coldstream, Yarra Glen, Healesville, and Warburton are some of the towns in the valley that you may visit. The valley was originally the territory of Wurundjeri, but it is nowadays an excellent wine and wildlife area, a one-minute drive from Melbourne.
- Melbourne City Centre: The foundation of the town was built in 1835 in the Melbourne City Centre. Nowadays it is one of the busiest parts of the town, full of shopping and sporting stadiums, restaurants and theatres. Shopping in Melbourne City Centre is one of the best things to do in Melbourne. The center of the city is also Melbourne’s major business area. It’s usually packed and lively, with people from every corner of life. Queen Victoria Market is Melbourne’s oldest market; retail centers, marketplaces, jewelry stores, and most famous of them. The Melbourne City Center, the center of all economic activity today, combines old and contemporary, with historic structures and ancient architecture and some of the most contemporary of its kind.
- Sea Life Aquarium: The Sea Life Aquarium in Melbourne is a popular tourist attraction, especially among families and kids, with thousands of marine animals on display. The Sea Life Aquarium is an unusual and exciting experience, with zones dedicated to displaying specific species and marine life characteristics, such as the popular Crocodile Lair, Bay of Rays and Mermaid Garden. Animals to be seen here vary from shark to the rare and locally endemic weedy seadragon. The Aquarium is also home to research centers dedicated to the subject.
- Royal Exhibition Building: It was established in 1880 and was the first structure in Australia to have its place as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This splendid architecture and impressive scale make it a famous tourist destination. One of the world’s last extant exposition buildings is the Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne. The Melbourne International Fair was erected amid the wave of the international exposition movement in 1881. Today, the magnificent structure serves as the ideal venue for concerts, performances, and events in Melbourne.
- Sovereign Hill: It is one of the extraordinary museums you can consider visiting in Melbourne. It is an open-air museum that demonstrates the unique lifestyle of historical times. It is spread over an area of more than 25 acres and features several underground mines, factories, schools, theaters, shops and hotels thereby becoming a busy location. If you are searching for a family destination in Melbourne then Sovereign hill is a place to be.
- Docklands: It is one of the most popular places to visit in Melbourne that attracts tourists from different corners of the world. Dockland is surrounded by high rises, dining walkways and shopping avenues. This scintillating destination also features several nightclubs, pubs, cafes, kiosks, parklands, amusement parks and restaurants to keep you busy throughout the day.
- Ian Potter Museum of Art: Ian Potter Museum of Art is recognized as a center of relics and art from historic times. Here you can discover a University art collection that is hard to find anywhere else. The exhibits and gallery in the museum possess a grand collection of public as well as private artifacts gathered from different parts of the world. Entry to this museum is free and it remains open on all days except Monday.
- Healesville Sanctuary: It is one of the highly recommended places to visit in Melbourne where you can come across several unique wildlife species. Healesville Sanctuary is home to extraordinary animals such as eagles, wombats, lyrebirds, Tasmanian devils, emus, koalas and platypus. If you are traveling with kids then you should bring them here to get friendly with animals. The sanctuary remains open on all days from 7:30 am to 10 pm.
- Melbourne Zoo: Just like other zoos in Australia, Melbourne zoo boasts amazing fauna and rare species of wildlife that are hard to discover at any other place in the world. It is a family destination that is packed with a lot of excitement and fun to keep your kids occupied throughout the day. Here you can spot unique species of animals such as Snow Leopard, Brown Bear, Tree Kangaroo and many others. If you are searching for some of the best places to see in Melbourne then this Zoo should be in your list.
- Yarra Valley Wineries: Whether you are a wine lover or not, you will definitively love a visit to this fabulous destination in Melbourne. While been here, you can consider taking a guided tour to discover the amazing landscape covered under the winery. You can taste few sips of a variety of wines and enjoy the unique dining experience. Don’t forget to check out Champagne and chocolates after enjoying delicious food made from local ingredients.
Drink the world’s best coffee, Check out the amazing street art, Wander through laneways, Visit Flinders Street Station and Federation Square, Learn how things work at Scienceworks, Stroll the botanic gardens, Have a gourmet Greek dinner, Get sporty at the MCG, Visit the Immigration Museum are the top 10 things to do in Melbourne.
What’s next waiting for you?
The beauty of Melbourne is hard to explain in words and we have to search for adjectives to describe its magic. So whenever you come to Australia, you will find it worth visiting a city like Melbourne that welcomes every visitor with open hands. Once you know where to go and what to do in Melbourne, you can create your itinerary. If you are planning to visit some other cities and best places to visit near Melbourne then check out our other travel guides.