Are you planning a trip to Australia? Then you shouldn’t miss one of the incredible cities such as Adelaide. It is a travel destination where you can discover most of the sightseeing locations within very close distance thereby making it extremely convenient for travelers to roam around. If you are wondering what destinations you should cover in a limited span of time then here is a comprehensive travel guide on Adelaide that covers everything. Check out these top things to do in Adelaide and best places to visit in Adelaide here:
- North Terrace: North Terrace, an attractive tree-lined promenade, is one of the best places to visit in Adelaide with historical and cultural riches. Parliament House is undoubtedly the most striking edifice in Adelaide, with its towering colonnade at the crossroads of King William Street and North Terrace. The South Australian National Library, the South Australian Museum, and the South Australian Art Gallery are just along the street cheek by jowl. The three major attractions in the city include art and culture in a triple dose.
- Art Gallery of South Australia: The Art Gallery of South Australia showcases one of Australia’s most prestigious art collections, in the heart of Adelaide’s cultural center. Founded in 1881, the magnificent Victorian architecture sets the tone for the prominent works inside its walls. The collection includes all the media, from paintings, sculptures, fabrics, metal works, and photography to ceramics, jewelry, and furnishings. The collection of Australians covers colonial days, including indigenous and Torres Strait Islanders. European paintings emphasize Renaissance artifacts to the current day and Australia’s only specialized Islamic exhibition is part of Asian shows.
- South Australian Museum: The South Australian Museum is a leading study center known for its holdings of aboriginal history and top places to visit in Adelaide. You may also see items from the South Pacific Islands, Egyptian antiquities, and local animals and plants in the South Australian Biodiversity Gallery. Children appreciate the natural history of specimens, fossils, and skeletons, and special displays always imply something new to be seen. Best of all, in this cultural metropolis, this museum is one of the numerous free things to do.
- Adelaide Central Market: The Adelaide Central Market is a famous shopping location and one of the oldest indoor markets in the world only a few steps west of Victoria Square, on the south side of Grote Street. Shopping at Adelaide Central Market is one of the best things to do in Adelaide. The colorful markets, founded in 1870, provide fresh fruit and vegetables, flowers, baked products, cheeses, and a range of international cuisine. After browsing through the filled products booths, enjoy your shopping bags or baskets at one of the numerous cafés in the neighborhood or the Asian restaurants in the vicinity of Chinatown. Saturday afternoons are the time for bargaining hunters to lower prices for their products by some sellers.
- Glenelg: The beachfront town of Glenelg is a favorite getaway from the hectic heart of the city on the protected surf-free Gulf of St. Vincent. Most guests use the one remaining tram from Victoria Square in the center to go here for 25 minutes. Glenelg has a wonderful history, as well as beach attractiveness that makes it one of the top 10 places to visit in Adelaide. The first group of free settlers landed here in Holdfast Bay in the HMS Buffalo, making it Europe’s oldest South Australian colony. Sidewalk coffee shops, boutique hotels, and bustling summer entertainment provide a vacation ambiance making it one of the best tourist attractions in Adelaide.
- Cleland Wildlife Park: Cleland Wildlife Park takes care of a nice, cuddly host of Aussie animals in a realistic habitat, less than a 20-minute drive from the city center on Mount Lofty’s north-west slopes. Kangaroos, wallabies, potoroos, and emus are wandering freely across broad open expanses, feeding and having close meetings. Photographers get an opportunity to acquire good photos and intriguing data about animals and their environments are presented in interactive keeper presentations. You may take a picture of a keepsake and snuggle a koala for a surcharge. All these reasons make it one of the best places to see in Adelaide all around the year.
- Ayers Historic House Museum: Ayers House is one of Australia’s best examples of Regency architecture and is one of the popular tourist spots in Adelaide. It was erected in 1846 and was owned by Henry Ayers from 1855 to 1878 who was the prime minister of South Australia for many years. It was renovated by Ayers into a magnificent 40-room villa with a huge new kitchenette and ballroom. Now it belongs to the South Australian National Trust and is a popular event site, however, it is a guided tour that tourists are welcome to take in the home. On the trip, you will experience the exciting leisure of Sir Henry Ayers’ social history and life and work. The interior is famous for its colorful painted walls and ceilings on its inside.
- Port Adelaide: A tourist attraction with museums, restaurants, and well-preserved buildings, Port Adelaide lies roughly 14 kilometers northwest of city centers. Much of the city is an area of national patrimony. A variety of impressive structures from the 19th century, including the Customs House and Courthouse, show the early prosperity of this city as a successful port in 1879. Tourist diversions include dolphin spotting excursions as well as a clutch of fascinating museums that deal with transport issues, such as the Railways Museum, South Australian Aviation Museum, and South Australian Maritime Museum. It is one of the top tourist attractions of Adelaide.
- Migration Museum: The Migration Museum showcases three centuries of immigrant history in South Australia in a wonderfully reconstructed edifice beside the State Library. Visitors may obtain an insight into pioneering minds and different cultures that have impacted the face of South Australia, ranging from aboriginal history before colonization, through the effects of immigration on their culture and local communities. Some immigrants’ tales provide a moving tone to this valuable museum, and interactive displays will keep the children entertained.
- Waterfall Gully: The main attraction, as the name says, is the cascades, which fall first. There are paths around which the wind of the fall. This is a terrific site for all walkers, because they may go for a hike in the vicinity of the fall. The beauty and charm of the location are a great partner for you while you wander. Some restaurants are close by where quality meals may be enjoyed. Tasting local food at these restaurants is one of the top 10 things to do in Adelaide.
- Victoria Square: If you are looking for some of the ideal vacation spots in Adelaide Australia where you can spend some quality time with your family then come to Victoria Square. It features several important travel highlights thereby making your visit totally worth it. Here you can spot the range of fountains that offer amazing scenes during the evening time. The statue of Queen Victoria is a key attraction here that attracts several visitors from different corners of the world.
- Adelaide Zoo: It is considered as the second oldest zoo in Australia which is considered as one of the best places to see in Adelaide to witness highly exotic and native wildlife species. Apart from some of the unique species, you will discover more than 1500 animals in the Adelaide Zoo. Night safari is also organized during evening time that offers you a truly fabulous experience. If you are planning a vacation with your kids then you must visit Adelaide zoo to add an element of excitement to your tour.
- Adelaide Botanic Garden: Australia has a very close connection with nature and you can feel it when you visit inspiring destinations such as Adelaide Botanic Garden. The garden features wetland, Mediterranean garden, medicinal plants and several unique species of flowers. Some other favorite places include Amazonia water lilies, Bicentennial Conservatory and Moreton Bay fig trees. You will be mesmerized by the immense collection of gardens along with heritage rose gardens that became a heaven for nature lovers.
- Mount Lofty: If you are done with sightseeing Adelaide places to visit and now want to enjoy real adventure then come to Mount Lofty. It will give you outstanding exposure to try several adventurous activities such as hiking, biking, and trekking. After overcoming all the challenges, you will reach the pinnacle of this destination from where you will get a spectacular view of the entire city. It is one of the ideal destinations in Adelaide Australia to try photography and capture the best moments of your life with the camera. In the vicinity, you will discover few shops where you can purchase few things to take as a souvenir.
- Adelaide’s Art Festival: You may have seen art festivals in different countries but the one which is organized here is definitely an exception. Here you will get an ultimate platform to witness a wide range of events including plays, ballet and readings. Make sure you keep sufficient time to enjoy different plays organized here. It is recommended to take an exhaustive tour of performance stages and dressing rooms to know how things work at backstage.
Visit Rundle Mall, check out the hustle and bustle of Adelaide Central Market, Admire the gorgeous flora at the Adelaide Botanic Garden, Enjoy the classic charm of Glenelg, Revitalize at the Himeji Garden, Experience a taste of Australia at Carrick Hill, Go on a heritage walking tour, Get in touch with nature at the Cleland Conservation Park, Get inspired at the North Terrace cultural precinct, Explore Cobbler Creek Recreation Park are some of the top 10 things to do in Adelaide.
What’s next waiting for you?
Apart from the key tourist spots in Adelaide mentioned above, you can explore a lot in Adelaide and experience its beauty from a very close distance. It doesn’t matter what excites you, this buzzing city has definitely some or other thing to make your journey memorable. Now you know where to go and what to do in Adelaide, go ahead with your journey. If you are planning to explore popular places to visit near Adelaide then check out our Australia travel guides.